We’re calling on the yoga community, students and teachers alike, to join us in the movement to END HUMAN TRAFFICKING by holding a ‘Practice For Freedom’ event on this day. Your event can be anything you want it to be, a yoga class in the park or at your local studio, a dinner party or movie night with family, friends and fellow yogis…you are only limited by your imagination. If you hold a regular yoga class on this day, turn it into a ‘practice for freedom’ event by donating the proceeds to our cause.
Once you’ve come up with a fundraising idea, post something promoting your event on Facebook or Instagram using the hashtag #practiceforfreedom and tag BE FREE YOGA. Then invite your networks and ask them to make a donation to help combat human trafficking.
Donate the proceeds from your event to PROJECT FUTURES (www.projectfutures.com) or FREE TO SHINE via our website HERE.
This campaign is just as much about raising awareness about slavery as it is about raising money for victims, so spread the word and inform your guests about the harsh reality of human trafficking. Let them know:
- There are an estimated 20 – 30 million people enslaved in the world today, more than at any other time in history
- Half of whom are just children, some as young as 4 years old
- UNICEF estimates that more than 2 million children are sold into sex slavery every year
- Slaves are subjected to rape, physical and mental torture, horrific living conditions, starvation, forced abortions, as well as threats made against their life and their families lives
- Women and girls make up 98% of victims of trafficking for sexual servitude
- Slavery is not confined to the developing world, Australia is also a destination country for human trafficking
- People all around the world (including our own backyard) are forced to work against their will without pay in factories, brothels, farms, mines, restaurants, and as domestic slaves.
Taking away a person’s freedom and exploiting them for financial gain is an incomprehensible violation of human rights. Community awareness and education is the first step towards abolishing these practices. The more that this subject is brought into the spotlight and discussed openly, the more pressure we can put on governments to take action and the more chance we have of changing cultural attitudes towards slavery.
If you’ve ever thought you’d like to be part of the solution to some of the world’s problems, then this is your chance.
Take part in BE FREE FRIDAY on Sep 05 and help END SLAVERY. The Australian Yoga Journal will be featuring someone who takes part in the campaign in their Nov/Dec issue. You will also be in with a chance to WIN a Lululemon prize back including a yoga mat, towel and water bottle. So get involved.